Style, Meet Substance: Easy, Breezy, Beautiful--CoverBOY!

  • I am so beyond excited and overwhelmed and happy and astonished and of course, SHOOK, to announce that I am the newest face of @covergirl. First ever male ambassador for the brand and I am  so honored and excited to be working with such an iconic brand. I started my Instagram one year ago to inspire others and as an artistic outlet to challenge myself creatively. I truly hope that this shows that anyone and everyone can wear makeup and can do anything if you work hard. I can't wait to share with you all what we have in store, but trust me when I say it's gonna be real good. 😊💕 make sure you check out @covergirl's page for more info coming soon, and my new bff @katyperry as well for a cute pic! 😉 Thank you all so much. This would not be possible without all of you.Image result for james charles
Top two images: Lacey Terrell for Covergirl; Last image from James Charles Instagram

Style, Meet Substance is a feature that discusses the good, the bad, and the straight-up stupid facets of the fashion industry.  Whether we're celebrating the rise of queer fashion designers or no-holds-barred ranting about blatant cultural appropriation on the runway, this segment aims to go where no style blogger has gone before for fear of alienating sponsors.  Here, you'll see the shit everyone thinks but never actually says. Basically, this is us spitting truth while acknowledging the fucked up nature of the sartorial beast.  Let the hate mail commence.  

Want to write for us? See our guest post section for more information.



My god, I never thought I would see the day, but it's finally happened y'all--we have a male as an official representative for a major cosmetics campaign! #blessup  Behold, CoverGirl has decided to join the 21st century and recognized that men, too, wear makeup.  (Ever heard of a show called RuPaul's Drag Race? It just won an Emmy, NBD.) Regardless of whether this is some sort of cheap marketing ploy to feign inclusion or they truly intend on paving the way for cosmetics-obsessed men all over the world, I'm very impressed that a makeup line, specifically one as mainstream as CoverGirl, elected to include a male in their advertising. 

Seventeen-year-old Instaglammer™ and now-CoverBoy James Charles went viral earlier this year for his fierce senior yearbook photo shoot. For those of you who somehow managed to not see his visage plastered all over Facebook, he flawlessly executed the glorious glazed donut look every basic white girl (myself included) strives for but can rarely achieve. His photos range from everyday makeup looks to more extravagant techniques utilizing elements such as glitter and face paint.  For those of us with shaky anxiety hands and a sheer inability to blend, Charles' Instagram is a dream to behold.

I, for one, am a huge fan of men repping cosmetics campaigns; I'm holding out hope that this move not only paves the way for other male models but also representation of other groups such as people of color and those in the trans and queer communities.  Like my therapist says, baby steps.

'Til next time, kittens!


No comments

Back to Top